Skip to main content

Day 12: Another female EUC rider

I got a link. That happens often.  My husband sees a post, a Youtube video, an article and sends it my way frequently.  This one was a bit different.  

Look at this, we saw this page over the summer. I looked at it. Click. 

It was a woman in Jersey City that we saw over the summer. At that time she was struggling to learn how to ride the EUC. It was lots of falling and frustration. When I saw it in August, I could relate to her experience. Riding an electric unicycle was not easy for me. 

This video was different.  Fast forward 7 months. Now she is a pro or a pro by my standards. She now rides in Manhattan. Crazy. I do it and my heart starts racing immediately. If you've ever seen or experienced Manhattan driving you understand what I mean. 

My husband suggested I reach out, another female rider is rare.  So I thought about it, but I'm an introvert and new people stress me out. 

I took a breath and found her IG. I DM her and told her about my experience.  I thought maybe she'd respond, maybe she'd think I was nuts. 

Minutes later... she responded. We chatted for a bit and made tentative plans. That wasn't so hard.  

Comments

  1. >That wasn't so hard. <

    Sometimes, that just the push we need to step a little further outside of our comfort zone to find something truly amazing!

    I hope you have the chance to connect and ride together! It's sounds so scary, but yet, why not?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine doing anything on wheels in Manhattan (although there was a brief time in the 90s when I attempted to rollerblade, but that is another story!). I'm glad you reached out to this woman..."wasn't so hard" indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 31: side effects

I think it's weird that I don't remember pain.  I mean the kind of pain that cripples you.   Do I remember the pain during my son's birth? No!  Major surgery? Nope!  Don't get me wrong, I remember what it sounds like and what it looks like but not the feeling.  So that is why I was so thrown off by the side effects of the vaccine. Fever.  Headaches.  Body aches.  Nausea. Cold sweats.  Hot 🔥sweats.  No taste.  No smell.   I must have checked off all of the boxes.   And it was the worst 24 hours.   Was it worth it?  I'm not sure but it's done. 

The Day after...

Today I was sore and achy. I woke up with a huge headache.  My arm felt yuck. Should I go to school? I thought about it for an hour. I thought about going to school (my dining table) and showing up for my kiddos. But showing up means a lot more than logging on zoom. It means being real and accessible and kind and listening. I was not able to do that fully this morning.  I texted my school, sipped on my coffee and went back to sleep.  Two hours later... The sun was shining. My windows were wide open. I decided to go for a walk. It felt amazing.  And I'm grateful that I listened to my body.   It's so easy to push through when I'm not 100% but I'm trying to remind myself that it's okay to step back.   Bella knows how to step back and relax.  We should all learn a lesson from Bella. 

What could it be?

Your gift is downstairs!  That's what the text said.  He had mentioned this gift a few times.  He was dropping hints for the last few weeks.  But I didn't think too much about it.  He is a great gifter, gift giver, I don't know what it's called.  Anyway, he is my husband and he loves to give. No holiday or special occasion needed.  I went to the lobby. There were no packages on the shelf.  The mailperson was there so asked if he had it.   " Don't remember seeing your name" he said. He walked a box of packages over to the shelf. On the very bottom was the package. I was in a medium sized white box.  I tried to see the label but I left my glasses upstairs.  I squinted really hard.   CLARK! He got me Clarkpads!  I ran to the apartment and video called him.  Clarkpads!   Then I opened the box and they were purple.   These might not mean anything to the average person. But this is huge.  Some people learned to cook during The Lockdown. We learned ho